Welcome to , or , an affiliate of the . The purpose of our organization is threefold:
- to promote communication among returned Peace Corps volunteers, current Peace Corps volunteers, trainees, and current and former staff who have served in these countries, as well as family and friends.
- to organize and promote projects to aid the citizens of Senegal and The Gambia
- to promote the "third goal" of the Peace Corps -- bringing the world back home -- with emphasis on Senegal and The Gambia.
We are currently looking for a new co-leader who served in Senegal to join co-leader Erica Burman (The Gambia, '87-'89). Our Treasurer is Scott Lewis. Our membership coordinator is Ann Carrellas. Our webmaster is Eric Shaffner (Senegal, '94-'96). Pip also edits our newsletter, The Tam Tam. Receive regular Senegal and Gambia news updates, ask questions and exchange information with PCVs, RPCVs, and prospective RPCVs at our Yahoo! listserv.
In 2005 we provided the Senegalese NGO TOSTAN with funds to help transport people from distant villages (including some in The Gambia) to one Tostan's public declaration ceremonies renouncing female genital cutting. Over the years we have also supported the SeneGAD committee's Michelle Sylvester Scholarship and the Peace Corps Gambia Scholarship Fund.
In conjunction with Peace Corps conferences we have held group social events, most recently in Chicago in August 2004. When in Washington, DC we have had involvement by the Senegalese and Gambian Embassies. In February 2004 FOSG was invited to meet with the new Senegalese ambassador.
Our group's Web site won the NPCA's 2004 Web site award, and we have participated in the 2005 & 2006 National Days of Action in support of Peace Corps.
We are in contact with PCVs in both Senegal and The Gambia. We would like to explore ways to support their efforts, as well as RPCVs here in the States who continue to help the people of Senegal and The Gambia.
We welcome your ideas, suggestions, stories, contributions and assistance in making this organization and this web site a vibrant, dynamic vehicle for furthering our aims.
Stay in Touch! Whether you formally join or not, FOSG and the NPCA would still love to know how to contact you, because as the saying goes, "once a volunteer, always a volunteer" - whether you know it or not, you're part of a special community. We'd like to know how to locate you in case someone (Fellow RPCV? Former student? Host family?) wants to locate you. Or to send you announcements of general interest concerning things Senegal, Gambia or Peace Corps.
- You'll get The Tam Tam.
- You'll be contributing to the aims and goals of FOSG.
- Your membership fees will contribute to projects in Senegal and The Gambia.
- You'll have a vote in project funding and officer elections.
- You'll help us help you connect with Peace Corps volunteers past, present and future.
- You'll help us help you stay connected with Senegal and The Gambia.
- Access to FOSG's online database, enabling you to stay in touch with old training group-mates, site partners, RPCVs in your state, and so on.
- Be part of an organization that gives the Peace Corps community a national voice and supports the efforts of over 130 affiliate groups nationwide.
- You'll receive the Worldview magazine -- quarterly news and comment about the developing world.
- Great travel benefits for your group or family.
- Eligibility for NPCA/Peace Corps scholarship at the Experiment in International Living/School for International Training.
- Opportunity to become part of the NPCA's Advocacy Network - a grassroots lobbying network supporting the Peace Corps and sustainable development.
- Opportunity to join Global TeachNet, the NPCA's global education network.
- Discounts on Peace Corps logo merchandise.
- Eligibility to apply for the NPCA gold MasterCard, receive insurance discount from Geico and more.
- Member rates for conferences and events.
You have the option of joining just FOSG, or FOSG and the NPCA simultaneously.
Volunteers within 12 months of their close of service receive an automatic year's FREE membership in both FOSG and NPCA. To join FOSG and NPCA simultaneously, visit the NPCA website.
To join FOSG alone, send a check for $15.00 to:
1276 North Wayne St., #425
Arlington, VA 22201
Below are archived issues of the FOSG's newsletter, The Tam-Tam.
(Zipped versions require Winzip or a similar utility. Adobe Acrobat versions require Acrobat Reader.)
- Volume 4, Number 2 (Summer/Fall 2004) [Adobe Acrobat, 682 KB] [Zipped, 631 KB]
- Volume 3, Number 1 (Winter 2003) [Adobe Acrobat, 648 KB] [Zipped, 609 KB]
- Volume 2, Number 1 (Winter 2002) [MS Word, 188 KB] [Zipped, 92 KB]
- Volume 1, Number 1 (Spring 2001) [MS Word, 867 KB] [Zipped, 704 KB]